IFTTT is definitely not a noise you make when you lift something heavy!
What is it then? IFTTT, a.k.a. If This Then That, for the more technical among you, is a smart device App/Service solution allowing you to program an output from an input/event.
Alright, enough of the lingo! What about an example. You have some smart light bulbs in lamps scattered through your house. You use the lamps frequently for a variety of tasks – full power for reading, dimmed when watching TV and the lounge room turns on at dusk automatically. Your daily routine is pretty well defined, turn off the lounge room lamp, walk down the hallway to your bedroom and turn on your bedside lamp.
For the sake of efficiency, or habit, wouldn’t it be nice that if you turned the lounge room lamp off the bedside table lamp came on at night after 8pm. This is where IFTTT is valuable.
1. If This = if I turn off the lounge room lamp via the smart controller App and it is after 8pm
2. Then That = turn on smart bulb of my bedside lamp
It is as simple as that. No frills, no gimmicks, just what do I want to happen if I do this. Look at it as you being the puppet master controlling the show. The alternatives are almost endless with the smart objects in your house. You can add in motion sensors, temperature alerts or sunrise/sunset triggers and many things could start to happen without you needing to think about it.
You can also receive information updates or acknowledgements on your devices from IFTTT triggers.
You will need to sign up for an account (https://ifttt.com) and provide access to your smart devices to start your journey.
I think there is lots to like about IFTTT:
* It appears to be well established and growing, it covers the common smart devices platforms and has many services or apps ready to use. I don’t think it is going away any time soon.
* It makes good sense regarding routines in ‘portable smart habitats’ (those you can take out of your house/apartment when you move to another location).
* You have control of it from your smart device, if it is not working as you want it to either turn it off or delete the rule.
* The software interfaces with plug and play (PnP) devices – no specialist trades (electrical/plumbing/HVAC) required with many solutions
Of course, there are limitations on some brands and products. Make sure you have a look at the IFTTT compatibility list of the smart product you are looking to buy or already have installed.
Over time the IFTTT app and Service list will grow through more and more vendors/products to hopefully meet your Smart Habitat need.
Stay safe, Be Smart!